Slides in this set
About the Poet: Simon Armitage
· born in 1963 in West Yorkshire
· His poetry demonstrates a strong concern for social
issues, as well as drawing on his Yorkshire roots.
· Armitage is often noted for his "ear" - holding a
strong sense of rhythm and metre.
· as well as publishing 15 collections of poetry, he has
written for film, television and radio, completed
two novels as well as non-fiction books, and writes
the lyrics for his band The Scaremongers…read more
· The poem is narrated in the first person.
· The tidy ten-syllable lines look neat and
controlled on the page possibly echoing the
manufactured drawings and designs in the old
future plans.…read more
Stanza One: A model town
Contrast between future and sounds fragile
past seems to suggest the like people's
future has already been hopes for the
written off. future
The future was a beautiful place, once.
people Remember the full-blown balsa-wood town
believed in on public display at the Civic hall?
town The ring-bound sketches, artists' impressions,
democratic Suggests plans were vague and not very