Slides in this set
· Forms = an idea of what something is
· There are two worlds, the world of appearances and the world of
· We live in the world of appearances and see the shadows of the
world of the Forms
· The world of the Forms is the most important and the real world
· A Form is unchanging because it is a concept and exists in the
world of the Forms. It is everlasting.
· When we are born we have a recollection of what Forms are,
because we have an immortal soul that observed the forms
before being incarnated in the body.
· Evidence for this is that we have a basic understanding of what
truth, good and beauty are.
· This leads Plato to claim that we have an immortal soul.…read more
Plato's Forms Continued...
· Evidence for this is that we have a basic understanding
of what truth, good and beauty are.
· This leads Plato to claim that we have an immortal
· Education, according to Plato, is remembering and
recalling the Forms.
· Plato said that we do not learn new things, but
learning the process of understanding reality of what
· The most important Form in The Form of The Good…read more
· Imagine people tied up in a cave, the people are tied so that they
can only see one wall.
· The shadows they see on the wall are what they believe to be the
real world, but they are not. This is the world of appearances.
· Plato says that we are like the people that are tied up, we can only
see the shadows of the Forms.
· The real world is the world of the Forms.…read more
Cave analogy continued..
· What if one prisoner were to be set free, and would be
able to see the real world, the world of the Forms?
· At first he would not understand, but gradually he
would be able to see the real Forms and he would
· Out of duty he goes back down into the cave to tell the
others. He cannot see in the darkness for a moment,
but once he can he explain what he saw to the others.
· The others reject his idea, and say that it is better to
stay in the cave. They even threaten death to those
who try to go above ground, or who tries to take
another above ground.…read more
Important points of the Cave
· We are like the people who are tied up, we only see the
shadows of the Forms. According to Plato, we need to be
untied and we need to see the real world. So, the physical
world is trapping us.
· The people who hold the statues/puppets, only see the
world of appearances, too. These people are suggested to
be the leaders of society and Plato says they have no more
idea of the real world than you or I.
· Plato says that the people who can see the real world of
the Forms are the ones that should lead society.
· The prisoner who is set free, is forced to see the real world,
Plato suggests that we have to be taught to see the real
world and most people do not want that.…read more