Slides in this set
A moment is the turning effect of a force (e.
g. undoing a wheel-nut with a spanner)
The moment of this example can be
1. Increasing the size of the force.
2. Using a spanner with a longer handle.
The equation is... Moment
of a force = force X
from pivot to the line of
action of the force.…read more
Is the point at which all the mass of the
object is thought to be concentrated.
Equilibrium is when an object's COM is
directly beneath the point of suspension.
suspension. Centre of
mass (COM).…read more
For something to balance, the anticlockwise
and clockwise moments must be equal.
Using the example of a seesaw, this might
be achieved by...
1. Heavier person moving closer to the pivot.
2. Lighter person sitting further away.
3. Using same weight people, same distance
form pivot.…read more
The stability of an object is how easily it topples.
· Stability can be increased by...
1. Making the base wider.
2. Making the COM as low as possible.
· An object will topple over when the line of action
is outside the base.
Line of action.…read more