Slides in this set
Using the Sun's Energy
The Sun is the Ultimate Source of
Loads of Our Energy
* Solar Cells (photo cells) get their energy from
-The Sun mostly gives out heat and the Sun.
* They generate a direct current (DC) meaning
-Some of the energy is stored on
that the energy flows the same way around the
Earth (fossil fuels) circuit all the time. Unlike your home (AC
-When we use wind power we are ·Solar cells are made of silicon semiconductor.
using energy that can be traced back ·When light falls on the cell the silicon atoms
to the Sun's energy
absorb some of the energy, knocking loose some
-We can use the Sun's energy with electrons. The electrons will then flow round the
Solar Cells and Solar Heating. circuit generating electricity.
·The power output of a photocell depends on
surface area (the larger, the more electricity
produced) and the intensity of the sunlight hitting
it (brighter, more power)…read more
No moving parts make it sturdy and No sunlight no power
No need for power cables or fuel Rubbish at night
Renewable energy Not so good during bad weather
- Solar panels are less sophisticated than photocells.
- Solar panels are black water pipes inside a glass box.
- The glass lets heat and light from the Sun in but just like a
greenhouse but can not get back out easily.
- Heat and light is then absorbed by the black pipes and heats up
the water.…read more
Producing and Distributing Electricity Most power stations are not that
efficient as they loose more than half of
The National Grid Connects Power Stations
energy produced though heat and noise.
However the efficiency of the power
-The National Grid is he network of pylons
station depends on the actual energy
and cables which covers the whole country.
- Takes electricity from power stations to
just where its needed (homes & industry)
- Power can be generated anywhere on the
grid because of this.
-To convert one kind of energy into
Three stages are;
1. To use fuel to generate steam. This is
the job of the boiler.
2. Moving steam drives the blades of a
3. Rotating movement from the turbine
is converted to electricity by the
generator (using electromagnetic
Fossil Fuels Nuclear Power:
-Fossil Fuels are burned to release energy. -Nuclear power stations use heat
- Concentrated source of energy (little coal released by uranium atoms as
gives a lot of heat) they split in a nuclear reaction.
- Burning fossil fuels causes Acid Rain and -Can be dangerous.
produces Carbon Dioxide.
- Running Out
- Imported from other countries.
-Fermented to produce methane.
- Methane used to make Biofuel's that
can be burned .
- Renewable (plant more trees)
- Carbon neutral process (CO2 given off
can be taken back out of the atmosphere
- Not imported
-A lot of Biofuel is needed to make
efficient fuel.…read more