First 110 words of the document:
Phagocytosis ... is the second line of defence. (First line of defence being the physical and chemical
barriers like the skin, the HCl in the stomach, and the ciliated epithelial cells that secrete mucus.)
1) The pathogen releases chemo attractants which attracts the phagocytes to the pathogen.
2) Phagocyte binds to the surface of the pathogen.
3) The phagocyte engulfs the pathogen forming a vesicle... or a phagosome.
4) The lysosomes with in the phagocyte move towards the vesicle and fuse with it.
5) They release lytic enzymes which break down the pathogen.
6) The products of the pathogen are then absorbed by the phagocytes cytoplasm.