Slides in this set
What information do you need to
know before you design?
· What tools and machinery are likely to be
· What workforce who will make the product,
· What textile techniques,
· What are the fabrics and components that
· are likely to be available
· Fair trade principles, existing fair-trade designs
and which ones have sold well in the past.
· Budget, costs, and product price points.
· Research based on theme.…read more
Why will a design/product
· will appeal to shoppers who buy Fair Trade products
because of the design features
· It will appeal as there are one or more Textile techniques
such as batik, block printing, appliqué, hand stitching etc,
or product will promote the country and its people, will
have a label to state fair-trade product.
· It uses inspired images/colours/shapes used, natural dyes
used, features fabrics and components that are inspired by
· Product is an original, creative design.
· Product has useful size/shape/pockets/handles etc. as
well as decorative features.
· Looks like a craft product made by ................ (local
country) workers.…read more
A product must meet certain
standards to be fair trade........
· products that promote the country and its people, made
by African workers for example.
· Natural dyes used,
· features fabrics and components that are can be sourced
locally, supports communities in developing country
Local workers will get employment, workers will get job
security and fair pay with good working conditions,
workers not exploited, benefits may include family
support, education for workers' children.
· Community support provided to make employment long
term/ product sustainable.
· Environmentally friendly/sustainable materials and
processes may be used, e.g. organic cotton…read more
How can a design be altered... So
that it costs less
· Style altered/ shape simplified/ size
reduced therefore less materials.
· Fewer decorative techniques/simpler or
quicker techniques, still effective, but will
take less time to make.
· Less expensive/less variety of fabrics and
· Recycling of fabrics and components.…read more
Computers are used to create print
designs what are the advantages
· Flexibility of trialling colourways, scale and other
variants on the design idea.
· Speed of creating, can use programmes or
import designs/templates etc to aid designing.
· Quick presentation.
· Can send design electronically to others for
· Modifications quick to make.
· Cheaper because less time required to make
design alterations…read more