Slides in this set
Structure of DNA pg 104
Adenine = Thymine (2 Hydrogen
Cytosine = Guanine (3 Hydrogen
Deoxyribose sugar and phosphate
Pyrimadines: Single ring. C and T
Purines: Double ring. A and G…read more
The genetic code
· A group of 3 bases codes for one amino acid. This is a base
· Only one strand of DNA codes for proteins = reference
· Gene a length of DNA that codes of one polypeptide.
A A T Leucine…read more
Protein Synthesis Transcription pg 105
1. Hydrogen bonds between bases broken by DNA Helicase DNA
2. Free nucleotides diffuse into position with exposed bases on
reference strand, using complemetary base pairing.
3. Condensation reactions catalysed by RNA polymerase creates
4. mRNA molecule breaks free from DNA and leaves the nucleus
through a nuclear pore. Arrives in the cytoplasm and moves to a
Protein Synthesis Translation pg 106
· tRNA molecules are used have a series of 3 bases called
· In the cytoplasm, tRNA transferases load AAs onto specific
tRNA molecules, depending on their anti-codon.
1. In the ribosome, there is complementary base pairing
between codons and anti-codons.
2. Another tRNA molecule approaches and joins.
3. A condensation reaction forms a peptide bond between
the 2 AAs.
4. The mRNA moves, and the first tRNA leaves
5. Another amino acid is brought in.
6. A chain of AA's continues to be built up until a stop codon
is reached on the mRNA.…read more