Slides in this set
What you will learn/ recap
How to describe the pathway of events
that results in response to stimuli.
How to describe the structure and
function of the 3 different types of
How to describe the mechanisms of
synaptic transmission.…read more
What is a neurone?
Nervous are nerve cells.
They coordinate the activity of an organism
by transmitting action potentials.
Lots of neurones in connective tissues are
known as nerves.
All neurones have 5 important features:
· They all have a cell body which contains a nucleus.
· Each communicates via processes from the cell body.
· Processes that carry impulses away from the cell body
are known as axons.
· Processes that carry impulses towards the cell body are
known as dendrons.
· All neurones transmit electrical impulses.…read more
Establishing a resting potential
Neurones spend most of their time at resting
At rest, there are 30 times more Na+ ions on
the outside of an axon.
This concentration is kept constant because of
Because there are more +ve ions on the
outside than the inside, the inside is slightly
This is what we call the resting potential (-70