First 130 words of the document:
MASS MOVEMENT & LANDSLIDES
· Groundwater pressure destabilises the slope.
· Erosion of the cliff by rivers or waves.
· Earthquakes destabilises the slope.
· Volcanic Eruptions.
· Intense or prolonged rainfall.
· Mining or quarrying.
· Landslides are associated with:
Water in the soil and rock.
Human activity waste tips from mining & road
CASE STUDY Thredbo (1997)
· This is occurred at the village and ski resort of
Thredbo, New South Wales (Australia).
· Happened on the 31st July 1997.
· 18 people died, $40 million of damage
· 3500 tonnes of debris came down the slope.
· The area was declared a "regional disaster".