Slides in this set
BIOLOGICAL APPROACH ASSUMPTIONS
· Human behaviour is strongly influenced by
genetic make-up and inheritance.
· The CNS is essential for thought and
behaviour to take place. The structure of the
brain can explain behaviour and thought.
· Chemical processes in the brain are
responsible for psychological functions of
the brain. An imbalance of these chemicals
can cause certain disorders.
· The brain and the mind are the same.
· Humans have evolved biologically.…read more
STRENGTHS OF THE APPROACH
· It is scientific as it uses empirical methods
and provide objective evidence.
· Provides strong arguments for the nature
side of the debate.
· The approach has many practical
applications. Knowing how biology is
involved in psychological disorders enables
researchers to find treatments.…read more
WEAKNESSES OF THE APPROACH
· The biological approach is reductionist as it
reduces all aspects of human behaviour to
physical processes and activity of our
· It ignores the influence of the environment
· The biological approach is deterministic as it
ignores an individual's free will as all
thoughts, feelings and behaviour is due to
biological make-up.…read more
· Behaviour is learnt though experiences in the
· Behaviour is learnt based on stimulus and
· Behaviourists favour the nurture side of the
· Behaviourists believe everyone is born with a
· Behaviourists believe it is ok to experiment on
animals and then transfer results and generalise
· They use the experimental method
· Psychology should be the study of observable
· Behaviour is a result of reinforcement or…read more