First 415 words of the document:
Unit 7: Medical Ethics
Developed partly due to social, emotion and health reasons
Some couples can't give birth to children naturally due to unable to release
eggs/fallopian tube being blocked, but really wanted to have children, so consider
having fertility treatments
Bible didn't teach specifically about fertility treatment no such technology at the time
when the Bible was written
Fertility treatments include
IVF (in vitro Fertilisation)
AIH (Artificial Insemination by Husband)
AID (Artificial Insemination by Donor)
The Process of IVF
1. Super ovulation is induced by hormonal injection
2. Eggs are harvested from ovaries
3. Eggs are introduced to the sperm in the petri dish
5. Most healthy embryos are selected
6. Top 3 inserted into uterus to be developed into baby
7. Surplus embryos are frozen in storage
Most Christian churches believe it's alright for science to assist childless couples.
AID and surrogacy involves a 3rd party spoil the telos of marriage.
Surrogacy raises a lot of moral questions, for example, who is the mother of the child? Does
the surrogate mother have the right to keep the child?
1. "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the Earth and subdue it." Genesis 1:28
From a Christian perspective, people should reproduce and have a family.
2. "So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you, for this sums up
the Law and the Prophets" Matthew 7:12 Principle of agape: most people would want
to have treatment to overcome infertility. Therefore, you should not deny to others
what you would want.
3. People wish to have their own children but devastated by infertility offering IVF is
compassionate. Fertility treatments follow the example of Jesus as a healer
4. We should use technology to the best of our ability.
5. Spare embryos that will be destroyed are not fully human enough to be treated the
same as independent beings and a new life will be created through treatments fertility
treatments should be allowed.
6. Spare embryos can still be donated to other couples, used for research or be frozen for
the couple's use later it is not always destroyed.
7. Happy family Promotes the institution of the family, which is the bedrock of society.
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
1. If people have no children it is God's plan, so fertility treatments violate God's plan
"Hannah had no children...because the Lord had closed her womb." 1 Samuel 1:2-6
2. Playing God modern technology is involved. Children should be made in a natural way.
3. Eggs are destroyed 8-9 eggs are fertilised but only 20% of the zygotes implant
successfully, the rest implanted unsuccessfully die.