Slides in this set
· What is insomnia?
· How long does it last for?
· Describe the different patterns for insomnia
· Describe the causes of insomnia ( P + S )
· Does eating cheese really give you nightmares?
· Consequences of insomnia
· Treatments for insomnia
· What is white noise and how can it help suffers
· What is Idiopathic insomnia?…read more
· Define insomnia · Duration: Insomnia can be
Insomnia is the `inability transient, lasting a few nights,
to sleep', where the short-term, lasting more than
sufferer has a long term a few nights, but less than 3
problem initiating or weeks, or long-term (chronic),
maintaining sleep. It can occurring most nights and for
take the form of longer than 3 weeks.
inadequate quantity or
quality of sleep. · Pattern
Dement `99 argues that difficulty falling asleep
insomnia is not a sleep Maintenance Insomnia-
disorder, but rather a difficulty staying asleep
symptom with different Termination Insomnia-
causes. waking up too early and
being unable to get back to
When insomnia is regarded as an illness in
itself it is called primary insomnia. If the
insomnia is a direct result of another illness, it
is called secondary insomnia.
· Insomnia affects both physical & cognitive
functioning, with symptoms including
sleepiness, fatigue, depression, poor
concentration and muscle aches.…read more
· Primary insomnia is sleeplessness not attributed
to a medical, psychiatric or environmental
· It simply occurs on its own without any known
· The diagnostic criteria for primary insomnia
from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders(DSM-IV-TR) includes the
1. Difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep for at least 1
2. The sleep disturbance, or associated daytime fatigue,
causes clinically significant distress or impairment in
social, occupational or other important areas of
3. The sleep disturbance does not occur during the course
of other sleep-related disorders, such as narcolepsy or
4. The sleep disturbance does not occur during the course
of another mental disorder.
5. The sleep disturbance is not due to the physiological
effects of a substance- e.g. Drugs or a general medical