Slides in this set
· The measurement and statistical analysis of people's physical and behavioural
· Physical characteristics= shape or composition of the body
· Behavioural characteristics= behaviour of a person
· ADVANTAGES= no passwords to remember, everyone is unique, not easy to
duplicate, true and complete accountability, time saving, convenient, high
· DISADVANTAGES= can be duplicated, characteristics change overtime,
obstructions, lighting can throw off the device, background noise, not consistent…read more
BIOMETRIC DEVICES= reader or scanner, software, database.
WHERE ARE THEY USED?
· Fingerprint scanners= schools, phones, police department
· Voice recognition= cars, phones
· Handwriting identification= police departments
AREAS BEING EXPLORED
Brainwave signals, electronic tattoos and password pills.…read more
· An algorithm is used to turn normal data into a series of seemingly random
characters. It is unreadable to those without a special key in which to decrypt it.
PUBLIC KEY/ASYMMETRIC KEY
· A combination of a private key and a public key.
· The public key encrypts data whilst the private key decrypts data.
ADVANTAGES= no secret channel, encryption key is
not distributed, detection of tampering
DISADVANTAGES= multiple keys, slower than
symmetric, security compromise…read more
Computers using this must have the same key.
· ADVANTAGES= faster than asymmetric, easy to use.
· DISADVANTAGES= sharing the key, security compromise.
SECURE SOCKETS LAYER (SSL) AND TRANSPORT LAYER SECURITY (TLS)
· SSL transmits sensitive information and is part of TLS.
· HTTP turns to HTTPS and small padlock is visible.
· Browser sends out the public key & the certificate & checks 3 things: 1)certificate
comes from a trusted party 2)certificate is currently valid 3)certificate has a
relationship with the site from which it's coming.
· One computer creates symmetric key & sends it to other computer with public key.
After the session the symmetric key is destroyed.…read more
· This is a program or device that filters data packets
coming through the internet connection into your
personal computer. It can be implemented in both
hardware and software.
· It checks everything coming back against a set of
rules and if it is from an unauthorized source it is
· ADVANTAGES= monitors traffic, blocks hackers/Trojans/keyloggers
· DISADVANTAGES= diminished performance, internal attack, cost…read more