First 219 words of the document:
Prokaryotic Cells Eukaryotic Cells
· No nucleus · Nucleus
· No nucleolus · Nucleolus
· Strands of DNA but no chromosomes · Chromosomes present in strands of
· No membrane bounded organelles · Membrane bounded cells such as
present mitochondria present
· No chloroplasts · Chloroplasts in plants/algae cells
· Smaller ribosome's · Larger ribosome's
· No endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi · Endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi
apparatus or lysosomes apparatus and lysosomes present
· Cell wall made of peptidoglycan · Cell wall made of cellulose (where
Cell Structure Role
Cell wall Physical barrier between organelles and
what is outside, only allowing certain
substances to enter the cell.
Capsule Protects bacteria from other cells and
helps colonies stick together for better
Cell-surface membrane Much more permeable membrane which
controls the entry and exit of substances.
Flagellum Aids movement of bacterium. Rotating
base acts as a propeller.
Circular DNA Hold genetic information for replication of
said bacterium cell.
Plasmid Possess genes that aid in the survival and
adaptation of h cell.
· Bacterium are found in every habitat in the world. They are versatile, adaptable
and very successful
· Incredibly small (0.1 to 10m)
· Simple structure
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
· Vibrio cholerae
· Flagellum (tail)
Symptoms: Diarrhoea, dehydration (as a consequence), some show no symptoms.
How: It is found in dirty water, sometimes food, that has be contaminated with faeces
containing the pathogen.…read more