First 287 words of the document:
Revision Notes for Chapter 17
1. Communication the sending and receiving of messages
2. Communication barriers things that get in the way of communication
3. Communication channels routes in which information travels in a business
4. Communication media the different methods in which communication takes place
5. Formal communication the use of recognized channels when communicating
6. Informal communication the use of non-approved channels when communicating
Unclear message: If message is unclear, it may be misinterpreted or ignored.
Technological breakdown: Businesses today relies on Email, which requires an internet
connection, for example for communication. If internet is faulty, communication cannot
take place. Mobile phones can get distorted with poor signals and cannot be used if there
are no signals.
Poor communication skills: Some employees may not be trained to communicate properly,
for example spelling and grammar mistakes in written messages, and poor verbal
Jargon: This is terminologies which is used and can only be understood by specific groups
Long chain of command: If chain of command is too long, messages may get distorted.
Using the wrong medium.
Different countries, languages and cultures.
Overcoming communication barriers
Training: Staff can be trained specifically for communication. This would help improve
Recruitment: Business must recruit employees who have good communication skills.
Technology: If existing technologies are faulty, the business may need to upgrade its
Chain of command: If this is too long, one or more management layers must be removed.
Social events: This may improve internal communication because staff gets a chance to
meet with each other.