Slides in this set
CAM = Computer Aided Manufacture
Data is downloaded from a computer to a
manufacturing machine and this data controls its
CAD = Computer Aided Design
This helps you design a product (via mood boards and
A product can be designed on CAD software then a
CAM machine takes over.…read more
- Before cutting, fabric is spread out on the
cutting table in layers.
- A CAM cutting machine cuts out the fabric pieces
following CAD instructions.
- The machine cuts through all layers at once
making the process more efficient.
- It cuts the fabric accurately at high speed with
vertical knives, high pressure water jets or a
- These machines use CAD data to cut
stencils quickly and accurately.…read more
- Industrial sewing machines are very strong as they
work at high speeds.
- Different machines are specially designed for the
different processes in making a product.
- CAM sewing machines are used to carry out certain
processes automatically e.g. buttonholes and
- A CAD design can go directly from a computer to
a digital printer the design is then directly
printed onto the fabric. This is very
Embroidery and Knitting Machines
- CAM embroidery machines use CAD data to sew
designs. They have many needles that change as
different threads are needed.
- CAM knitting machines use CAD data to control
the stitch pattern and other design features.
They can produce rolls of knitted fabric or whole
one part garments.
- Computer control makes these machines very fast
and accurate, and the CAD data can be quickly
changed to produce new products.
- These press the fabric flat and
flatten seams to finish the product.…read more
Advantages of CAD/CAM
- Different designs can be quickly and cheaply
modelled (using software) and compared on-
- Changes to a design can be made quickly and
- Designs can be sent across the world via email so
designers can be based in different countries to
the manufacturer or client.
- Computers can be used to work how the best way
to lay out pattern piece so there is less waste.
They can also be reused if saved.…read more