Slides in this set
· The internal conditions of your body have to be
controlled to maintain a constant internal environment-
this is called homeostasis.
· There are many functions which try to enable your
internal environment as constant as possible:
1. Removing waste products;
· Carbon dioxide
1. Maintaining body balance;
· Water balance.
· Body temperature.
· Blood sugar levels.…read more
Removing waste products
· As there are chemical reactions constantly
taking place within us, so is the need for us to
get rid of waste products.
· If they are not they may interfere with these
reaction or damage our cells.
· Some of these wastes are:
1. Carbon dioxide
2. Urea…read more
Every cell in our body produces carbon dioxide
and so it is vital we get rid of it.
If it remained dissolved in our cytoplasm it
would affect the PH,as it produces an acidic
A lower PH would affect the working of all
enzymes in the cell.…read more
· Urea is produced by the liver and excreted by the
· As some of the amino acids become excess.
· As it needs to be broken down and can not be used
· In the liver the amino acid group is removed and
converted into urea.
· It then passes into the blood but the build up of it
would be very dangerous as it's poisonous.
· Then the urea is filtered by the kidneys and then
removed in your urine.…read more
Controlling body balance
· Water and ions enter your body through food
· The water and ion have to be maintained to
prevent damage to your cells.
· Water is lost through breathing, sweat and
· Ions are lost through urine and sweat.…read more