First 269 words of the document:
The Cold War
The richest country in the world. 1. The biggest country in the world.
2. A democracy with free elections, led by 2. A oneparty state led by a dictator. There were elections, but you could
an elected president. only vote for the Communist Party.
3. Freedom of speech and belief. 3. State control: censorship, secret police, terror and purges.
4. Capitalism private ownership and the 4. Communism state ownership of the means of production, and the
right to make money. belief that wealth should be shared.
5. Led by Truman, who believed that 5. Led by Stalin, who believed that capitalism was evil.
Communism was evil.
6. Had the atomic bomb but was scared 6. Had the biggest army in the world but was angry that Truman had not
of Russia's conventional army. warned that he was going to drop the atomic bomb.
7. Feared the spread of communism 7. Was angry because America and Britain had invaded Russia in
throughout the world. 191819 to try to destroy communism.
8. Angry about the NaziSoviet Pact that 8. Believed that America and Britain had delayed opening the second front
was a major factor in starting the Second (attacking France) to let Germany and Russia destroy each other on the
World War. eastern front.
9. Wanted reconstruction to make 9. Wanted to wreck Germany, take huge reparations for the damage done
Germany a prosperous democracy and a during the war, and set up a buffer of friendly states around Russia to
trading partner. prevent another invasion in the future.
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
Comparison of Yalta and Potsdam
Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin Attlee, Truman and Stalin
Germany to be split into four zones. Arguments about the details of the boundaries
between the zones.
Germany will pay reparations. Disagreements about the amount of reparations
Russia wanted to take. It was agreed that Russia could
take whatever it wanted from the Soviet zone, and 10
per cent of the industrial equipment of the western
zones, but Britain and the US thought this was too