First 328 words of the document:
1. Absolution the forgiveness of sins
2. Advent four weeks before Christmas, commemorating the first and second coming
3. Apocrypha The books covering the period between the Old and New Testaments only
accepted by the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches
4. Apostle `messenger' applied to disciples when they were sent out by Jesus
to preach the Gospel
5. Creed statement of Christian belief
6. Ascension The ascent of Christ from earth to heaven at the end of his life
7. Atonement God and humanity brought together by the life, death and resurrection of
8. Baptism Washing away of sins through sprinkling or immersion in water
9. Bible holy book of Christians
10. Confirmation service in which the vows of baptism are confirmed and the Holy Spirit is
given to a person
11. Disciple a follower of Jesus, one of the twelve close followers chosen to
accompany him on his travels
12. Epiphany The day, twelve days after Christmas, when some Christians celebrate the
visit of the Wise Men to the infant Jesus.
13. Eucharist `Thanksgiving', the name favoured in the Anglican Church for Holy
14. Fundamentalism The belief that every word in the Bible is true since it came directly from
15. Incarnation The Christian belief that Jesus, the Son of God, became a human being
16. Lord's Prayer The prayer that Jesus taught to his disciples, used in almost all acts of
17. Prophet A man or woman sent by God to pass on God's message to the people.
18. Parousia From the Greek meaning `second coming'
19. Synoptic Gospels The three Gospels (Matthew, Mark & Luke) which have a similar approach
to the life of Jesus and much material in common.
20. Trinity The Christian belief in one God in three Persons the Father, the Son and the