Slides in this set
· Radiation where the photons have enough
energy to knock electrons off the atom
changing it into a positively charged ion.
(no charge) (positively
This will now react
with other atoms e.g.
Lost electron DNA damage…read more
Safety with radiation
Sun-creams of varying spf
Clothing ·Two approaches to
"Slip, slap, slop" safety...
· Micro removing a group from a
Metal screens potential risk just in case!
ALARA principle [as low as
· Gamma/ x-rays reasonably achievable]
Lead screens accepting risk but taking
measures to minimise it!…read more
Factors affecting the damaging
effects of radiation
· Energy of photon [packet of radiated
· Intensity [number of photons arriving per
· Duration of exposure
· Medium through which the radiation
travels (some absorb more than others)
· Distance from source…read more