Slides in this set
Hydrogen molecules are slightly polar because the oxygen is able to pull
the shared electrons towards it. This means there is a positive and
· Solvent able to interact with charged parts of other molecules, surround
them, and therefore dissolve them. 70-95% of cytoplasm in water.
Necessary to perform respiration and photosynthesis.
· Liquid transport medium e.g. blood vascular tissue. Stays liquid over a
large temperature range.
· Cohesion - xylem, creates surface tension, hydrogen bonds pull in water at
the surface, walk on water.
· Freezing forms ice on the surface which insulates the water below it so
organisms can survive in water all year round. Solid is less dense than
· Thermal stability Evaporation removes heat by using lots of energy e.g.
panting, sweating, large bodies of water have fairly constant
temperatures. Hydrogen bonds restrict movement, lots of energy needed
to increase water temperature.
· Metabolic Hydrolysis and photosynthesis.…read more