First 283 words of the document:
Explanations for the Success or Failure of Dieting Essay Plan
1. Describe in detail the restraint theory- Herman and Mack. Outline study by Wardle and
Beales- obese people, given either diet group, and exercise group or a non-treatment
group for 7 weeks. Found women in diet condition ate more than the other groups.
2. Describe briefly the role of denial, study Wegner; white bear, ring bell when they did think
about it, found ppts told not to think about the white bear rang it more than the other group.
Theory of Ironic Processes- Wegner.
3. Critical point 1: This theory cannot be applied to all eating disorders. Ogden argues that how
is it possible for anorexics to starve themselves if restraining causes overeating. Therefore,
Herman and Mack's restraint theory is not useful when looking at anorexics, this is a problem
as it is one of the most common eating disorders in the U.K.
4. Critical Point 2: This theory means there are problems with dieting programmes nowadays.
This is because looking at the evidence, restraining causes overeating therefore, people
won't lose weight. However, Ogden claims that overeating could be a consequence of
obesity if restraint is recommended as a treatment.
5. Critical Point 3: This theory has strong evidence to support it. Soetens found that restrained
eaters who seem to overeat try to suppress thoughts about food more often, but when they
do they think more about food afterwards. Although, most of the studies have used self
report analysis, this can be biased and not very reliable for drawing conclusions from,
especially as there can be individual differences.