Slides in this set
· `The greatest happiness for the greatest number'.
· Devised by Jeremy Bentham.
· Hedonistic Utilitarianism Pleasure = good Pain = evil
· Hedonic Calculus duration, intensity, remoteness, certainty, richness, purity,
· It is reasonable to link morality with the pursuit of
happiness & aversion to pain.
· It is a democratic morality, a common sense, easy
to grasp system designed to be practically applied
to situations.…read more
· It relies on accurate predictions of the future, which
humans don't have.
· Measuring pleasures if more complex than it
· It is questionable whether an act can be declared
good by the tests of the hedonic calculus.
· A religious view might maintain that morality should
be focused on God & not on human happiness.…read more