Slides in this set
The Empirical Formula
· The lowest whole number ratio of
elements in a compound.
· The molecular formula the actual ratio of
elements in a compound
· The two can be the same.
· CH2 empirical formula
· C2H4 molecular formula
· C3H6 molecular formula
· H O both…read more
· Just find the lowest whole number ratio
· It is not just the ratio of atoms, it is also the
ratio of moles of atoms
· In 1 mole of CO2 there is 1 mole of carbon
and 2 moles of oxygen
· In one molecule of CO2 there is 1 atom of
C and 2 atoms of O…read more
· Pretend that you have a 100 gram sample of the
· That is, change the % to grams.
· Convert the grams to mols for each element.
· Write the number of mols as a subscript in a
· Divide each number by the least number.
· Multiply the result to get rid of any fractions.…read more
· Calculate the empirical formula of a
compound composed of 38.67 % C, 16.22
% H, and 45.11 %N.
· Assume 100 g so
· 38.67 g C x 1mol C = 3.220 mole C
· 16.22 g H x 1mol H = 16.09 mole H
· 45.11 g N x 1mol N = 3.219 mole N
14.01 gN…read more