First 316 words of the document:
Consolidation of Nazi Rule
Problems Facing Hitler 1933,
Issue of Law and Order.
Improving image of the Nazis.
Preventing Revolution from "Below".
Threat of Hindenburg.
Reichstag Fire, February 27th 1933.
1. Coincided with the Reichstag elections at which Hitler intended to strengthen his own status.
2. The fire was blamed on Dutch Communist, Marius van de Lubbe.
3. Provided pretext for Emergency Powers, "The Protection of Nation and State".
4. It was used to suspend Civil Rights and the KPD.
The "Enabling Law" March 1933,
Passed by the Reichstag, by 441 votes to 94.
· Gave "emergency powers" Article 48 to be used for 4 years.
· The Cabinet could pass decrees without Presidential involvement.
· Became the virtual constitution of the Third Reich.
· Communists banned.
· Assets of SPD seized, then party banned, June 22.
· Remaining parties dissolved themselves.
The Lander (Regional States),
· Regional parliaments were dissolved. 31/3/33.
· 7/4/33, Reich Governors who were really Gauleiters.
· 1/34 all regional Parliaments abolished.
· May 1933, TU premises occupied and funds confiscated.
· Independent T.U.s banned and workers groups absorbed into DAF.
Still to be "Co-ordinated",
· Big Business.
· Civil Service.
Night of the Long Knives 30th June 1934,
· To make the party "respectable".
· To end the conflict between the SA and the Army.
· Used by Goering and Himmler to get rid of old rivals.
· To end the threat of a "Second Revolution".
· To Consolidate Hitler's power over the party.
· To ensure the loyalty of the Army they took an oath of allegiance to Hitler thereafter.