Slides in this set
There were four Prime
Ministers during this period
· Winston Churchill (retired due to illness)
· Anthony Eden: (resigned over the Suez Crisis)
· Harold Macmillan (retired due to ill health)
· Sir Alec Douglas-Home (lost election to Labour)…read more
· Balance of Payments:
· When a country pays more for imports (goods it buys)
than it makes in exports (goods it sells).
· When the value of a currency is reduced. It makes
exports cheaper but imports more expensive.
· The increase in prices.
· Policies that lead to a rise in prices.…read more
· Profumo Affair:
· This is involved a government minister having
an affair with a prostitute and lying to
Parliament about it. A Russian spy living in
Britain also saw the same prostitute.
· Suez Crisis:
· Prime Minister Eden launched an invasion on
Egypt's Suez Canal to protect vital shipping /
oil routes. The US threatened to withdraw
loans to Britain unless it withdrew all troops.
It highlighted that Britain no longer called
the shots in international affairs.…read more