Slides in this set
Testing for unsaturation
· Bromine water is a test for double bonds or
· Bromine water stays orange when mixed with a
· Bromine water goes colourless when mixed with
an unsaturated compound.
· This is an addition reaction (reacting with double
· The colourless compound is a dibromo compound.…read more
Industrial use of vegetable oils to make
· Vegetable oils are unsaturated runny
· It is reacted with hydrogen at 200 degrees
Celsius using a nickel catalyst.
· The hydrogen reacts with the carbon carbon
double bonds and turns them into single
· This makes margarine easy to spread.…read more