First 205 words of the document:
C3b and C3cHigher only:
1. Structure of sodium chloride or magnesium oxide: they have giant ionic lattice
structure in which the positive ions are electrostatically attracted to negative ions.
One example of giant ionic lattice structure: NaCl
2. some of the physical properties of sodium chloride and magnesium oxide:
strong attraction between positive and negative ions so have a high melting
ions cannot move in solid so do not conduct electricity
When they are molten they conduct electricity, as the ions are free to move.
When they are dissolved ( in solution) they conduct electricity, as the ions are
free to move.
3. Describe the formation of simple molecules containing single and double
covalent bonds by the "dot and cross" model, limited to the molecules: ( do these
on a separate plain piece of paper)
4. Carbon dioxide and water as simple molecules with weak intermolecular forces
5. Relate the properties of carbon dioxide and water to their structure:
weak intermolecular forces so low melting points
no free electrons so do not conduct electricity.