Slides in this set
12th October 1899
· Ultimatum to Britain from the Boer Republics:
Withdraw British troops from Boer boarders
Redirect the 50,000 British Reinforcements on the
seas away from South Africa.
OR DECLARATION OF WAR…read more
Gold & Uitlander Problem
· Diamonds discovered at Kimberly Cecil Rhodes becomes a
· Vast gold deposits discovered in the Transvaal.
· Large numbers of foreign workers (Uitlanders) move to
Johannesburg for the high wages but are displeased with the
high taxes and no political rights.
· The murder of Tom Edgar, a Brit, by a Transvaal Policeman
causes a petition to the Queen and Milner increases his
pressures on Krugar `seeking reform and civil rights'.…read more
· The war began with three Boer offensives:
A siege of Mafeking against Baden-Powell's forces
lasts until May 1900.
In Kimberley, British forces & Cecil Rhodes were cut
off by Boers lead by General Cronje.
In Natal, Sir George White suffers reverses and
ends up cut off in the town of Ladysmith.…read more
· Buller's forces arrive in the Cape.
· Buller divides his forces into three :
Buller, attempt to relieve Ladysmith.
Lord Methuen, aim to relieve Western Railway
Gatacre, aim to safeguard the North of Cape
Province and two railways.…read more