Slides in this set
Although genetically engineered food is not
ideal due to there being many problems
such as narrowing the gene pool and
decreasing biodiversity , scientist are finding
ways to use GM food to battle world wide
VITAMIN A DEFICIENCY
· People in less economical countries such as east Asian
and Africa become blind due to vitamin A deficiency
which is caused by the lack of vitamin A in their diet.
· In order to battle a vitamin deficiency diseases is to
simply balance your diet with the right nutrients.…read more
WHAT IS VITAMIN A GOOD FOR ?
· Eyesight forms the visual pigment
· Cell growth and development forms many
· Epithelial tissue- differentiation of cells and reduces
the risk of infection.
· Bones growth of bones…read more
WHERE IS VITAMIN A FORMED ?
· Vitamin A comes from animal sources such
· Vegetarians and people without access to
meat get the vitamin from beta-carotene ado
known as a precursor which is then
converted in the gut.…read more
RICE HAS BEEN ENGINEERED
· Rice plants contain genes that code for the production of
beta- carotene which is a photosynthetic pigment which is
needed in plants.
· But in the grains the genes are switched of do no beta
carotene is formed.
· So what scientist done was to insert two genes into the rice
DNA which activated the endosperm cells.
· They used genes phytoene synthetase which was taken from
daffodils and Crt 1 enzyme extracted form a soil bacterium.
· The genes were inserted into the genome near a specific
prmoter sequence and switched th gene for developing the
PROBLEMS AND DEVELOPMENT ?
· Although the rice contained beta- carotene large
amounts of rice would be needed to take in enough
· So to solves this problem scientists cross bred
different rice varieties to produce Golden rice 2
which made 20 times more beta-carotene meaning
that enough beta carotene could be consumed in
daily amounts.…read more