Slides in this set
· Very large molecules
· Shape of each protein differs
· Most important molecule to life.
· Enzymes are proteins. Involved in almost
every living process.
· Vast range of different enzymes.…read more
· Basic monomer units combining to make polymer
called polypeptide. Polypeptides combined to
make proteins. 100 amino acids.
· Central Carbon atom attached to:
· - amino group (-NH) gives amino part
· -carboxyl group (-COOH) acidic group
· - hydrogen atom (-H)
· -R group- variety of different chemical groups.
· The R Group changes for each amino acid.…read more
Formation of a peptide bond
· A bond between amino acid monomers is called a
peptide bond. Between carbon atom and nitrogen
· 2 amino acid monomers joined together is called
· Joined by condensation reaction. OH from
carboxyl and H from other part of amino acid.
· Small number of amino acids form a peptide
· Longer chains called a polypeptide
· Broken down by hydrolysis…read more
Primary Structure of Proteins
· Many amino acid monomers can be joined in a process
· Resulting chain is a polypeptide.
· The sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain
forms the primary structure of any protein.
· It is the primary structure that determines its ultimate
shape and function.
· Changing a single amino acid leads to a change in
shape and may stop it carrying out its original function.
· A proteins shape is very specific to its function.
· A protein is made of many polypeptide chains.…read more