Slides in this set
WHAT IS IT?
· It is the gas that is produced by the biological breakdown
of organic matter.
· It is produced by anaerobic digestion and the
fermentation of materials such as biomass, manure, green
waste and plant materials.
· This type of gas is made up of mainly nitrogen, hydrogen,
methane and carbon dioxide.
· These gases can be combusted with oxygen and this
allows biomass to be used as a fuel.
· It is a renewable fuel.…read more
HOW IS IT PRODUCED?
· Plants are `fed' with energy crops like maize silage or
biodegradable wastes like food waste.
· As they grow, an air tight tank transforms the biomass
waste into methane.
· This gas can then be used for electricity and heating.…read more