Slides in this set
· How zoological gardens conserve animal species
(advantages / disadvantages / problems / solutions).
· How botanical gardens & seed banks conserve plant species.
· How nature reserves conserve habitats.…read more
Zoos - Why have them?
· Originally created out of curiosity - achieved little in terms of
maintaining or increasing wild populations.
· Conservation is a recent aim:
preservation of genetic stock
reintroduction to the wild.…read more
Zoos - The Advantages
· Well fed / protected from predators & disease.
· Can monitor health of mother & foetus.
· Transfer breeding individuals between zoos (expensive /
· Gametes can be collected & stored (also from wild).
· Allows artificial insemination, IVF & surrogate mothers
(possibly different species).
· Can keep genetic records to avoid inbreeding.…read more