Slides in this set
· Most of the country is a huge floodplain and delta for the Rivers
Ganges and Brahmaputra.
· 70% of the total land area is less than one metre above sea level.
· Rivers, lakes and swamps cover 10% of the land area.
· Tropical cyclones and storm waves cause heavy rain and costal
· Snow melts in Himalayas in Spring/Summer.
· Heavy monsoon rain falls particularly over the uplands
including the Himalayas.…read more
· Floods occur almost every summer.
· Surface water makes the delta and flood plain
challenging environments for people.
· Padi rice is the main crop which is grown.
· 140 million people live in Bangladesh.
· 13th September 2004, was the worst flood for 50 years
when 350mm of rain fell in 24 hours.…read more
Long Term Effects
· Over 1 million children suffered from
malnutrition and disease in the following
· $2/3 billion was spent on industry and roads.
· Emergency food was needed until next years