Slides in this set
What is it?
· ALS is the most common motor neuron disease
· It is a very rare and fatal disease which
originates from neurodegeneration
· The nerve cells known as motor neurons are
most specifically affected…read more
What are Motor Neurons?
· Motor neurons are specialised nerve cells
· They control movement actions such as; walking
, speaking, breathing and swallowing.
·Loss of motor neuron
function means an
increasing loss of mobility
in your limbs and difficulty
with breathing, swallowing
and speech.…read more
Is there a treatment?
· There is no cure for ALS
· There is a drug, Riluzole, which is said to help
slow the progress of the disease and lengthen
· The main way of helping people with ALS is
improving their life quality…read more