Slides in this set
· Structural consensus theory agreement
· Macro theory
· Society made of interdependent and
· Look at positive aspects
· Educational very important and beneficial
Standards & allocation
· Education helps social solidarity, belonging in the community
· Education teaches people specialist skills that are needed in society e.g. vocational
· School "society in miniature"
· "Education knits society together"
· Allocates future roles to individuals
· Bridge the gap between particularistic standards of the home and universalistic standards of
Particularistic a set of rules that apply only to that child, unconditional love, ascribed status
· At home
Universalistic apply to everybody all individuals judged by the same standards e.g. same laws
apply to everyone, in schools we all sit the same exams.
· In the real world
· Education and society based on meritocratic principals, everyone equal achieve rewards
through effort and ability
Davis and Moore (similar to parsons)
· Education is meritocratic
· Talent is discovered and rewarded…read more
· Assumes education is fair rewards the
best, ignores social inequalities that may
Some may have cultural capital
· Marxism (criticism of Durkheim) education
teaches the values and norms of the
· New right (criticism of skills and
knowledge) Schools teach things
irrelevant to the world of work *…read more
Durkheim social solidarity, skills, "society in miniature", "knits society"
Parsons - Allocates future roles, Bridge the gap between particularistic
standards and universalistic standards, meritocratic principals
Davis and Moore (similar to parsons) Education is meritocratic, Talent is
discovered and rewarded
Marxism - education teaches the values and norms of the bourgeoisie.
New right teach things irrelevant to work