Slides in this set
PROBLEMS OF THE WEIMAR CONSTITUTION
· Problems of the Weimar Constitution:
· Isolated from the rest of the group
· Most people hate the government
· Invasion of the Ruhr
· Hyperinflation reaches height
· Attacked politically from the left and right
· He was responsible for the rapid recovery of the economy.
· For Germany being trusted by other countries in trade on
· Stresemann was chancellor and then foreign minister until
· 1923 Gustav Stresemann became chancellor and introduced a new
currency the RENTENMARK. This restored confidence in German money
and brought hyperinflation under control.
· 1924 the USA, under the DAWES PLAN, agreed to lend money to
Germany to help revive industry and the economy in order for reparations
to be paid. The money was used to build theatres, airfields, swimming
pools and sports stadiums throughout Germany.
· 1925 Stresemann signed the LOCANO PACT with Britain and France, they
agreed to keep the borders established by the Treaty of Versailles and
Germany promised to only change her Eastern boundaries by peaceful
· 1926 Germany joined the League of Nations
· 1928 unemployment rate was at its lowest for 10 years and the Nazi
party won 12 seats in the Reichstag and in 1928 elections with just
810,000 of the 31 million votes cast.…read more
HOW FAR DID THE WEIMAR REPUBLIC RECOVER UNDER STRESEMANN?
PROBLEM STRESEMANN'S POLICY WAS IT A SUCCESS OR RATING?
Hyperinflation Stopped printing money and replaced It was a success, **** - it stopped
old money with a new currency. Germans excepted hyperinflation but
money and people never got
hyperinflation ended. savings back
French Attended a meeting with the French, A success because the **** - was criticised
occupation of British and American leaders and came French left the Ruhr. for not asking for land
Ruhr up with the Dawes Plan. Which back.
allowed Germans to pay back only
what they could afford.
Germany's poor He in 1925 signed the Locarno pact It was a success as **** - was criticised
relationship with with Britain, France, Belgium and Italy Germany became a for not asking for land
other countries which meant they couldn't invade each major European back
other. In 1928 Germany along with power again.
64 other countries signed the Kellogg-
Briand Pact which meant they wouldn't
go to war with each other and in 1926
Germany joined the league of nations.
German industry Organised big loans from America. It was a success as *** - feared Germans
short of Germans built new factories, housing, nights out were great, relied too much on
investment hospitals, schools and roads, this meant Germans loans…read more