Slides in this set
· Asked participants to come to a lab and wait in the
corridor. Participants heard a argument inside the lab.
Then in the 1st condition a man came out with greasy
hands and holding a pen. In the 2nd condition a man
came out holding a bloody knife.
· After participants were shown 50 photos and asked
to pick out the man who came out the room.
· Found that those participants in the 2nd condition
(who had high anxiety) had lower memory recall
· This shows that high anxiety can lead to low memory
recall- supporting the inverted U theory…read more
· Low ecological validity- although it was unexpected
the participants had some idea they were taking part
in a experiment as they were invited to a lab.
· Ethics- harm could have been caused as the
participants experienced high levels or stress and
distress. Also participants were deceived as they
didn't know the true aim of the experiment.…read more
Loftus and burns- boy shot in the face
Participants saw a video of a boy shot in the face
· 1st condition- participants saw video of a boy in a
street who was then shot in the face
· 2nd condition- participants saw a video of a boy in a
street who was shot in the face but then saw he wasn'
· Found that participants in the 1st condition who saw
the boy shot in the face and who didn't know if he was
uninjured (high anxiety) had worse recall of the event
· This shows that high anxiety can cause low memory
recall performance…read more
Loftus and burns- evaluation
· Lacks ecological validity- a video isn't a real life event
so in real life anxiety may have been higher
· Ethics- harm as participants experienced high levels
of stress and distress…read more
Yuille and Cutshall- gunman gunned down
· Reviewed 21 statements from witnesses who saw a
man try and steal a gun from a gun shop, who was then
shot by the shop owner.
· Found that participants who were closer to the
witness at the time (high anxiety) had higher recall
than those further away (low anxiety)
· This shows that high anxiety levels doesn't cause low
memory performance- it actually causes higher
memory recall- opposes inverted U theory…read more