First 180 words of the document:
Identify and briefly explain two reasons why women seem to have a higher
participation rate in religion than that of men (9 marks)
One mark for each of two reasons identified such as:
· religion links women with networking with the community
· women might be more spiritual or religious.
· Religion was traditionally seen as an extension of their familiar or maternal role: this view
relates to the traditional view of women being seen as carers and looking after their family
and linking religion and going to church as one aspect of that role.
· More women may be on their own as they grow older and may turn to religion: women
have a longer life expectancy and many, when widowed, may turn to religion for comfort and
· As society has changed men have turned away from organised religion: changes in society,
for instance to patterns of work and leisure, may have resulted in more men dropping out of
organised religion, for instance going to church on Sundays.