- BRAVE- He attacks Aeneas full on when they first meet - 'swiftly rushed forward' 'procurso rapido'. He also 'flashes forward' to attack Aeneas.
- STRONG - He is described as a bull 'taurus'
- FATED - Jupiter places his fate in the scales of fate 'Iuppiter ipse duas aequato examine lances sustinet'
- COWARD - When his sword breaks he runs away - 'if flight had not come to his aid' 'ni fuga subsidio subeat'
- INFERIOR - he is inferior to Aeneas beacuse he is descried as being like a terrified stag being chased by a hunting dog. The stag flees from the superior animal, and similarly Turnus flees from Aeneas who is superior
- He is the antagonist - he presents Aeneas with a final obstacle to overcome before he can find Rome
- Turnus cannot beat Aeneas because Aeneas is fated to find Rome. Turnus is all that stands in his way. Eventually Aeneas has to beat Turnus to fulfil his destiny