- Attentive .
- Paternal .
- Hysterical .
- Loving .
- Distrusting .
- Callous .
- Regretful .
- "...this shouting of servants....Nothing has happened to old Pittheus, I hope?"
- "Alas my children-it is not they, I hope, who have been stripped of their lives?"
- "I have come back from my mission to find dissaster."
- "with what words can I speak of your lamentable fate and hit the mark?" "Down beneath the earth, to the gloom beneath the earth I wish to go from here..." "Oh, my life is over. The house is empty, and our children are orphans." "...with one of them destroy my son..."
- O dearest and the best of all the women..." "to Theseus' bed and his house no woman shall ever come."
- "men should have some clear test of their friends established, a way of judging their hearts..."
- "he that comes next is to prove a greater villain than his predecessor." "Vilest of men..." "...your smug piety...." "No pity for your exile steals upon my heart." "Poseidon will respect my prayers and send him down dead...or he will wander to a foreign land in exile from this country." "Justice trap him and break him..."
- "I wish I might die, mistress." "If only I could die instead of you, my child!"
- "O dearest son, how plainly your father can see your nobility." "I cry alas for your reverent and virtuous spirit."