- Is sovereign depends on the people
- Democracies respect the basic individual liberties.
- Avoid the "tyranny of the majority" by providing ways for minorities all kinds to have their voices heard as well
- Free competitive elestions
- Democracies are not controlled by the whims of the leader, but they are governed by laws that apply to leaders and citizens equally
- Direct democracy: happens when citizens get a vote for a policy directly, without any intermediate representatives or houses of parliment. Citizens vote on the issue and decide the fate of their own countries. Taxes cannot be raised wihthout the public support. With small, educated and homogeneous direct democracy can be applied. EX: Referendums and initiatives
- Representative democracy (indirect democracy) is when people choose to vote for who will represent them in a parliment. This is the most common form of democracy found acroos the world. "A small group of representatives can use their expertise in policy-making. A downside of this form of democracy is that representatives may fail to persue the interests of the citizens.
- is a disstortion of authority
- Authoritarianims is a form of government i nwhich the governemnt imposes its authority, almost always repressive and in an aggressive way on its citizens.
- Authoritarianism is oppressive, totalitarian, among other similar characteristcs
- The one that governs makes all decisions.
- There are THEOCRATIC governement which use religion as a tool to control people
- Most extreme form of AUTHORITARIANISM: Very Totalitarianism: there is no limitation to authority, prohibits opposition parties, extremely high degree of control over public and private life. EXAMPLE: North Korea
- One ruler or a small groups of leaders have the real power in authoritarian political systems.
- Majority rule with minority right (constitution protects minorities)
- Free fair competitive elections
- Rule by law
- There is political participation of citizens
- Do not censor newspapers and public expression opinions
- Supreme leader Kim Jong Un
- Do not follow the majority rule , and there is no minority rights
- May hold or not elections, AND IF THEY HOLD elections citizens do not have any voice in how they are ruled.
- North Korea politicl party: "Worker´s Party of Korea"
- Do not follow freedom of speech, press, and religion
- Socialist economy