- Data collection can be automatic so no human presence is necessary
- Readings can be continually taken over long periods
- There is no chance of somebody forgetting to take a reading
- Readings will be more accurate if a computer takes them because there is no chance of human error
- Sensors can be placed in locations where it is dangerous for humans to go
- Readings can be taken very quickly [several readings every second from a number of different sensors]. Humans could not achieve this.
- If there is a fault it may go unnoticed for a long time