- Approx 12,700 barristers self employed
- 3,000 barristers employed by organisations
- Collectively known as 'The Bar'
- Controlled and regulated by general council of the bar
- Must be a member of one of the four Inns of court justice: Lincoln's Inn, Inner temple, Middle temple, Grays Inn
- After at least 10 years as a barrister or solicitor with advocacy qualification can apply to Queen's Council
- Around 10% of practising barristers are apart of the Queen's Council
- Known as 'Taking silk'
- Deal with more complicated fees and command a higher fee