i need help on the OCR AS Chemistry Evaluative Task 2012

• 0 votes

I need to know what crops up in the paper 

thanks

Posted Thu 26th April, 2012 @ 19:24 by Doctor

6 Answers

• 1 vote

do you know the topic? i did one last week on aldehydes and ketones?

Answered Thu 26th April, 2012 @ 21:00 by Cyn:)
  • 0 votes

yeah

Answered Thu 26th April, 2012 @ 21:07 by Doctor
  • 0 votes

yeah is something to do with alcohols

aldehydes ketones carboylic acids

Answered Thu 26th April, 2012 @ 21:08 by Doctor
  • 0 votes

that one is alright.

the compound is a ketone.

You have to identify from the mass spec or infra red. i dont rememba exactly.

they ask you what can you see - bubbles.

technically, the evaluative is alright but make sure you read the question carefully! it says name a compound for the last question.

you have to identify two peaks. 

you have to draw pentanal and pentan-2ol i think.

good luck!

Answered Thu 26th April, 2012 @ 21:17 by Cyn:)
  • 0 votes

Hi gigi, I'm really worried about that last question now come to think of it, because i think i've put the wrong asnwer now to be honest, it was this evaluative practical of the oxidising of the secondary alcohol to get the ketone! What did you put for the naming of the compound? Also my teacher said something quite strange the lesson before the practical- the question related to what you could see, she said that the H+ from the acid (H2SO4) reacts with the sodium carbonate so water and carbon dioxide are given off and this is how you see the bubbling and effervescing. I put that but I cannot remember if the question even mentioned this- where does the sodium carbonate come from?

And also what did you put for the two peaks on the infrared spectroscopy, i could identify the C=O from the ketone, but was confused about the other one!

I would be quite grateful if you could reassure me of these things, I hope I haven't failed! :(.

Answered Tue 1st May, 2012 @ 14:59 by sarah hughes
  • 0 votes

hi, is the practical ok?! and what do u need to revise before hand, as this is my very kast evaluative and i would like to do well :)

thanks a lot

Answered Thu 10th May, 2012 @ 16:19 by Sheenzz