How to revise for Of Mice and Men exam (AQA) (22/5/12)

• 0 votes

How do you revise for this exam as it's a text based question?

Posted Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 11:04 by Georgia

6 Answers

• 2 votes

10% of your grade is based on historical context so make sure you know your CLASH (content, language, author, structure and "history") for your develop & know how each character is involved in the 1930s history.

also, remember key quotes for each character and know where they are in the book because you don't want to waiste time looking for quotes in the exam.

make sure you have a strong point for your statement (make sure its complex) to hit the higher grades.

make revision note cards for your characters.

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 12:02 by Mas-Alg
  • 1 vote

I'm doing of mice and men, Crooks hasn't come up in ages nor has Curley's wife so my English class was told to revise those to characters hard and if you're doing lord of the flies as your second option, revise Ralph. Any suggestions yourself on how to revise? x

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 11:12 by Sarah Richard
  • 1 vote

I would say definately revise themes which link to context e.g. the American Dream, lonliness and isolation, George and Lennie travelling together, racism, attitudes towards women, death - mice, pup, candy's dog foreshadowing Lennie's death, power, cycles and dependance/independence

Those are the majority of them and you need these because section B is always about linking to context also read the book through to gain an understanding as a whole about the book.

I know I've practically answered my own question but I wondered if anyone else has any suggestions :)

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 11:36 by Georgia
Edited by Georgia on Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 11:36
  • 1 vote

I would revise each characer throughly, but pay more attention to the protagonists (main characters) George Milton and Lennie Small. Think about their relationship- how are those 2 characters different to the other characters. Also i recommend to read the book if you have time. Make sure to read your study notes/guides if you have any.

Remember, Dont forget to think about themes- hopes, dreams, loneliness and revise historic events (not too much detail- you wont be expected to know every single thing historical related)- the Great Depression (1929), Segretion in 1930's USA Racism in 1930s USA and Sexism in 1930s USA

dont worry you will be fine :) i have my exam too tomorrow :)

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 13:35 by LozzaRose
  • 0 votes

I've got this exam as well and I've just wrote out some revision notes if you want them: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/of_mice_and_men_notes6

Also if you can write some practice essays that your teacher could mark you can see how to improve :)

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 12:28 by LaurenE
  • -2 votes

same

Answered Mon 21st May, 2012 @ 11:10 by Sarah Richard