How does Steinbeck present use their relationship in the novel as a whole to convey idea about America in the 1930's?

• 0 votes

please explain this to me as formally as you can. the main poins i need to know are of America and the history also i was wondering if Crook's has anything to do with this specific question.

thanks you.

Posted Wed 18th April, 2012 @ 20:47 by emily

1 Answer

• 4 votes

You didn't make the questing clear enough but I hope this helps (:

-Basically, Steinbeck conveys that there was a lot of discrimination in 1930's America. People were segregated, lonely and had big dreams.  

-Women were seen as the properties of men e.g Curley's wife, her name is not mentioned.

-Steinbeck represents Crook's as the racism and discrimination idea. Crooks brings into real life what would have the black people felt. Steinbeck uses Crooks to present his view that discrimination was unacceptable but it was happening during those times.

-Steinbeck uses the character of George and Lennie to convey that not every 'American Dream' came true. - the dream ends with Lennie's death.

-Steinbeck conveys that there was clear class division. Curley and Curley's wife think they can take control, e.g Curley's wife threatens to get Crooks hanged.

-Lastly, Steinbeck conveys that not all people in the 1930's were uneducated, mostly the black people were educated as shown in the novella. Also very little people had any property as they were moving from one job to another.

Overall Steinbeck tries to convey what life was like in the 1930's America. He presents his ideas that it was wrong to discriminate, mistreat and devalue people but it still happened. Steinbeck was trying to convey what life was like in 1930's America and how hard it was to achieve the 'American Dream' or any sort of respect and human rights.

Hope I helped!

Answered Thu 19th April, 2012 @ 21:25 by karolina