How do you answer and what do you have to include to answer Q1,2,3 and 4 in the English language exam?

• 0 votes

i don't understand how to answer the questions?

Posted Sun 27th May, 2012 @ 11:52 by Becca

5 Answers

• 1 vote

well the first question is about the character and so only only mention a 3 point about the characters personality and include 3 quotes to support this

second question is usually about language use 4 points and use 4 quotes as well as explaining one of the techniques the author uses to suggest what you means.

the third question is about the theme and you do the same thing that you did to the second question.

On the fourth question you do the same only from a different part of the novel.

Answered Sun 27th May, 2012 @ 12:04 by J-narth
  • 0 votes

Which board is it?

Answered Sun 27th May, 2012 @ 16:35 by furuba fan
  • 0 votes

AQA 

Answered Mon 28th May, 2012 @ 17:18 by Becca
  • 0 votes

1) Spend 15 mins on it

summary skills-

its usually a question like what do you learn in this text ect. Just describe everything in detail, embed quotes, and explain feelings. Start it off with like "In this article i learn't that (explain one thing youve learned). I know this because the author says(then do a quote) which shows(then explain everything.

The best thing to do before you answer number on is read the question, then go through the text, highlighting possible answers to that question.

2) Spend about 15mins on this one.

Analyise presentation devices and comment of effects

Basically, it will give you a text like a news paper article or something, and say, "how are the headline, sub-headline and picture affective and how do they link to the text"

So again go through it with your highlighter reaaaaally quickly, and pic out this info. Obvs you need to read the text to see how it all ties together. Then do a paragraph on each one. First three paragraphs on how each thing is effective, and an extra one on how it all ties with the text.

3) Spend about half an hour on it

Compare the ways language is used for effect and analyse the effect.

this will give you like a story text. (Non-Fiction) and you have to analyse things like emotions and feelings. Nature and settings, even character traits, everything really. But in some of the practice papers ive done, the question really narrows it down, for instance one of them asks me to "explain the thoughts and feelings" of one of the charaters in the text.

I really hope this helps

REMEMBER! theres usually more lines than your gonna need so dont get all worried if youve got like loads of room left. But ive youve got TONS of pages left you might need to write more

Good luck, im sitting this one aswell!

Answered Mon 28th May, 2012 @ 17:56 by aliceturner
  • 0 votes

SORRY only spend 15 mins on number 3

then half an hour on four

fours is about comparing two peices of text. Literally compare anything you can pick out, like pictures, language devices, techniques, sophisticated language, target audience, how it effects the reader, literally EVERYTHING

Answered Mon 28th May, 2012 @ 17:58 by aliceturner