How are people revising Edexcel AS Music 2012?!

• 0 votes

Hi, I was just wondering how people are revising for Music AS, the set works form Edexcel. At the moment, I am finding it so hard to memorise the facts, especially and harmonic rhythms, and chords in certain places :(

Posted Thu 19th April, 2012 @ 18:32 by Jessica

6 Answers

• 1 vote

i did a spider diagram for all the instrumental pieces noting on the features of the pieces. I dont know if its edexcel or AQA im doing but the spider diagrams helped divide up the topics of each piece, i have a feeling revision flash cards may work better though.

Answered Thu 19th April, 2012 @ 22:13 by sarah
Edited by sarah on Thu 19th April, 2012 @ 22:14
  • 0 votes

Try grouping your set works notes into harmony, texture, melody, rhythm & metre, performing forces and their handling, features of the period, tonality and structure, and make them into flash cards with about 6 bullet points for each of the above.

Then you can revise them by saying the flash cards out loud, or glancing at them as you listen to the set works. Have you got an mp3 of each piece? That's pretty important because then you can hear some of the important features and hopefully remember what they sound like if they come up in either of the 2 set works sections.

I have revision summary notes based on Edexcel resources for each piece and I'm in the process of uploading them as powerpoints, whenever I have time, but Get Revising was playing around a bit and the computer-wizzes had to fix it.

As for the harmony bits (Bach chorales, understanding chords and lines and so on), maybe making a big poster of harmony rules with bright colours and sticking it somewhere really obvious could help. If you look up whilst lying in bed, for example, and see "NO PARALLEL OCTAVES" in big red lettering, it's pretty memorable.

Answered Wed 2nd May, 2012 @ 20:17 by Bethan
  • 0 votes

I'm doing edexcel as too! I have gone through all my notes and put everything possible onto photocopies of the scores i.e. cadences, important chords, modulations ect. Then carefully listen to the pieces a following through the scores a few times and try to listen out for all the features and familiarise yourself with them. I have found doing this helpful because I find the listening really hard so I'm trying to know the pieces inside out! For the essays try to come up with as many points as possible about texture, harmony, structure and melody for each piece and examples of each. Also do as many practice essays as possible!!

Really hope this helps :)

Answered Thu 3rd May, 2012 @ 17:33 by Oliver
  • 0 votes

write your notes out and just memorise them, wrote learn it, thats how i got an A!

AS music is just a memory game! when the question compare and contrast came up when i did it, all i did was had all the pieces memorise and just wrote out everything i knew for each peice on the page, and it seems they accept that as compare and contrast, A2 music is a different story as you take the anthology into the exam because there is probably double the amount of set works i think :)

hope that helps, good luck!  

Answered Tue 8th May, 2012 @ 09:40 by andy
  • 0 votes

Urgh I have the same problem! I understand it all but my memory is awful :(

I did this thing where I listened to the Beethoven whilst following my score (which is annotated), then closed it and wrote down everything I could remember about it. Then I looked at the sheet my teacher made and wrote down all the things I didn't remember and all the bar numbers, then I divided them into categories and wrote them all out again. And during it I listened to it over and over again :L took me ages but now I'm a don at form, harmony, etc :L

Now I need to do it with all my other pieces........

Answered Sun 13th May, 2012 @ 16:20 by melie
  • 0 votes

use quizlet to make flashcards because you can then use them to play different revision games --> i use quizlet a lot, its a good tool

Answered Tue 23rd February, 2016 @ 18:41 by georgiah17