Can anyone link me or give me a good case study of a slum?
- 0 votes
Can anyone link me or give me a good case study of a slum? Or link or give me a case study of residential segregation? This is for AS Geography CIE.
Posted Sat 13th October, 2012 @ 07:15 by v s
- 1 vote
- Dharavi is the biggest slum in Asia – home to more than 600,000 people. Its spreads 2km2.
- It generates US$40m a year.
- It is just north of central Mumbai and its growth is restricted by the city.
- The governments of Mumbai and Maharashtra state or now planning the development of the slum. Housing is to be cleared in stage.
- The Dharavi redevelopment project is developing the slum so that each district has housing, health care, civic amenities, infrastructure, recreational spaces, schools and industries
- Dharavi is on very valuable land just south of the Mithi River, near the new Bangra Kurla Complex.
- In 2005 the BKC was flooded, and poor planning for the site was evident. The river was diverted changing drainage in the area, but this left Dharavi, a former swamp, dry.
- For this reason Dharavi is attractive to real estate.
- Developers can’t erase the existing industries in the area, so a compromise is reached. There are 4,500 small industries/
- Under the scheme, people are entitled to 225 sq ft of free space.
- The project cannot go ahead unless the majority of residents agree to it. Some people claim that the government have used underhand tactics to make people sign the agreement.
- They also fear that with development, financial pressures will replace planned housing with industry.
- There are also plans for the expansion of the BKC
Answered Sat 13th October, 2012 @ 21:41 by annalise